Statement of the Delegation of the Republic of Indonesia to be delivered by Mr. Wisnu Widjaja, Deputy for Rehabilitation and Reconstruction, National Agency for Disaster Management
First Session of the Preparatory Committee of the Third UN World Conference
on Disaster Risk Reduction
Geneva, 14-15 July 2014
Allow me, on behalf of my delegation, to congratulate you for assuming the role of the Chair for this important meeting. We strongly believe that, under your able leadership, we will have a successful Preparatory Committee meeting which will create a sound foundation for the convening of the Third UN World Conference on DRR, to be held in Sendai, Japan, on March 2015. Through you, I would also like to congratulate all members of the Bureau.
My delegation also thank the Secretariat, led by SRSG Margareta Walhstrom, for preparing all substantive and logistical preparation of the meeting. In particular, we thank the Secretariat for formulating a document entitled “Suggested elements for the post-2015 framework for DRR”. We consider the document as an important document that can assist delegations in the considerations on the post-2015 framework (Hyogo Framework for Action 2).
My delegation would like to register our support to the common statement from ASEAN Countries, delivered by the Distinguished Delegates of Myanmar. In addition, allow me to add several additional issues that hopefully might positively contribute to our discussion.
For our delegation, it is a matter of principle that our current deliberation should always be connected to the current HFA. We are of the view that the next framework for action should be based on the best practices of the implementation of the HFA. In this regard, we welcome various progress achieved by all Member States in implementing several Priority of Action under the HFA, in particular those connecting to strengthening countries’ institutional, legislative and policy frameworks, early warning, as well as disaster preparedness for response.
At the same time, it is also important to note that there is still a need to do more in Priority for Action 4 on reducing the underlying risk factors and tackling the causes of risk creation. It is our fervent hope that we will allocate sufficient time to discuss this issue with a view to find the root causes of this hampering condition. There should be measures taken in order to address this issue, either caused by lack of political will or lack of capabilities to implement that priority.
It is also imperative to note that the key success factor for the current HFA is that the HFA provides a clear guidance for countries in conducting self-assessments mechanism. In addition, HFA also clearly indicates that the success of the implementation of the framework needs full collaboration among government, parliamentarian, civil society, as well as private sectors.
At this stage, we would like to briefly highlight several points that might be considered to be incorporated in the HFA 2, among others:
- There is a need to always put people first and foremost in the DRR, CCA and Sustainable Development Agenda post-2015.
- In order to achieve a more resilient nation, there is a need for building capacity at the local levels including in assessing disaster and climate risk as well as mainstreaming DRR and CCA in development plan and policies, which needs to be based on reliable disaster statistics.
- The use of appropriate technology in early warning and mitigation systems need to be supported by strengthening research and development and revitalization of local knowledge and wisdom through an integrated knowledge management system that is accessible for communities.
- We are of the view that there should be a greater commitment and investment by governments in promoting risk sensitive and resilient economic development.
- There is a need to forge global partnership in addressing DRR at all level, and to enhance the role of the UN-ISDR, international agencies, and regional and national platforms in building resilience at the local and community levels, as well as facilitating knowledge exchange and collaboration among countries.
My delegation will gladly elaborate those 5 elements during our interactive discussion during this Preparatory Meeting. It is also our intention to hear and learn more from other delegations on their view connected to the ideal form and content of the HFA 2 to be adopted during the Sendai Conference on 2015.
I thank you.