Statement by the Delegation of the Republic of Indonesia at the Interactice Dialogue with the Special Rapporteur on torture and other cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment, Geneva, 11 March 2022
President,1. We note the SR’s concerns on the perceived “indifference” and lack of engagement on the part of States in responding to the various reports and questionnaires on important thematic issues related to his mandate.
-> For our part, we will surely pay closer attention to this matter, with a view to better contribute to future discussions on the eradication of torture and ill-treatment.
2. Despite the SR’s disconcerting observation, Indonesia reaffirms the universal, absolute and non-derogable nature of the prohibition of torture and ill-treatment.
3. As a core state of the Convention Against Torture Initiative (CTI), Indonesia remains steadfast and actively engaged in promoting the global anti-torture agenda.
-> Regionally this year, we are planning, together with the CTI Secretariat, to engage countries in the Asia Pacific to strengthen UNCAT implementation and universalization.
-> Meanwhile, domestically, our government continues to work closely with national human rights institutions NHRIs and civil society to strengthen the preventive capacity of state institutions.
4. In this connection, my delegation wishes to convey that the SR’s observations have been relayed to relevant authorities to enrich the evolving discussions on torture at the national level.
-> The reports on non-coercive interviewing and biopsycho-social factors conducive to torture, for example, have substantively contributed in informing domestic policies.
5. Looking back at your experience, what recommendations would you give to your future successor to ensure more effective and concrete cooperation between mandate holders and States?
6. In closing, we thank the SR’s 6 years of service and dedication and wish him success in his future endeavours.
7. Rest assured of Indonesia’s commitment to continue supporting the global agenda to combat and prevent torture and other cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment.
I thank you